Our Chosen Charity
A Brief Company History Since 1840
- A privately owned family company with more than seven generations of trade experience, the 8th generation has just joined the business but the 9th is still too young yet! We supply premium quality granite, limestone, marble, quartzite, sandstone, slate and travertine direct to wholesalers, processors and project contractors wherever you may be.
- Obviously our family origins in the stone trade did not start so recently, in fact stonemasonry is so far ingrained in our heritage that we cannot state with confidence when our family actually first practiced stonemasonry.
- Certainly we can go back more than 170+ years to 1840 and probably further if the records were still intact. Our family stonemasonry businesses were the largest in Kingston Upon Hull having several depots and were undoubtedly the finest master masons and craftsmen in the city. For a brief look at the family's current retail masonry business still operating from the same premises for the past 90 years, please go to Leakes Masonry.
- Our Indian factory started in 1970 as a joint collaboration initially producing traditional hand-made, punched finish memorials in a variety of colours but predominantly Absolute Black. These days production includes random or dimensioned slabs, ready-made countertops or bathroom vanity units, calibrated tiles in a broad selection of sizes and textures including polished, honed, flamed, machined, antiqued and river-wash finish and premium quality memorials.
- Natural stone setts, cobbles and paving slabs in a variety of colours, sawn or natural riven, can be supplied for large civil engineering projects with reliability and cost-effectiveness.
- Supplies of exclusive or traditional memorials and markers have been exported worldwide for more than five decades to all areas of the world including North and South America, Europe, Russia, Australasia, South Africa and Japan.
- Our factory in India was the first to use sophisticated imported machinery and this quality standard has been maintained by continuous investment in state-of-the-art machinery.
- Exporting rough blocks have always been an integral part of the business with buyers arriving on a daily basis especially from China and Europe particularly for Absolute Black and our own Star Galaxy Granite amongst many others.
- Day to day management of the business is controlled by family members therefore you can be assured that your enquiry will be dealt with promptly and efficiently.